What is brand communication?
Most companies have the same goal: to make a profit. But companies that want to make an impact on the world have another goal to achieve. They want to build a strong brand that encourages others to do the right thing as well. They want to win over fans and ambassadors and build a real, deep connection with their target audience.
By focusing solely on your sales, you won’t be able to achieve this as a brand. Do you want a deep connection? Do you want to come across as recognizable and trustworthy? Then you need to invest in brand communication.
Brand communication includes all the communication around your brand. It's the way your brand communicates with others. From your social media caption to a webinar, all your communication efforts fall under brand communication.
To build a strong brand communication, it's important to know your target audience inside out. Once you know that, it's time to establish your tone of voice. You continue to optimize until your communication perfectly matches your unique value proposition and brand.
Internal and external brand communication
Internal brand communication
Internal brand communication is all the communication that happens within your company and with your employees.
Think about internal newsletters, invitations to company events, announcements...
External brand communication
External communication is all the communication that happens outside with your customers and shareholders. You'll read more about that in a moment.
Key components of brand communication
Want to know which channels to use and how to reach your target audience? Then set up buyer personas. Yes, plural. Because not every business has just 1 ideal customer. Research the following:
- Who is your ideal customer?
- How do they look for your product or service?
- What are their needs.
- What frustrations do they experience?
- What information do they find valuable?
- What content and information do they need during their buying process?
- Through which channels you can reach them.
- What is their role through the buying process?
Tone of voice
The way a brand speaks, and writes is called the tone of voice. To determine it, you need to know who your target audience is. But most of all, you need to know how you want to come across to your target audience and who your brand is.
Brands with a very strong tone of voice:
- Disney: Storyteller
- Douwe Egberts: Warm friend
- Mini Cooper: Cool Kid
Prerequisites for strong brand communication
Investing in brand communication? That means it's best to take a step back and think about all the communication you put out there. From now on, you won't just post or send out anything. From now on, you communicate according to a well thought strategy.
Want to build a strong brand communication? Then take a moment to consider the following aspects:
- Get to know your target audience in detail: what are their strengths, weaknesses, goals, preferences?
- Personalize your communication whenever possible: differentiate yourself from the competition and stand out.
- Get creative: humour and storytelling still work best.
- Make your choices based on relevant data (Insights from A/B tests, for example).
- With these 4 pillars you start working on your brand communication strategy. This is followed content creation and publishing according to your strategy.
Types of brand communication
Brand communication is a very broad concept. It includes all the communication of your brand, both internal and external. Some examples of brand communication include:
- Social media
- Digital marketing
- Content marketing
- Email marketing
- Video content
How do you get started on your brand communication strategy?
Want to get started on a strong brand communication strategy? Then first and foremost, determine your brand's objectives and identify your target audience.
- What do you want to tell them?
- How do you want to tell it (tone of voice)?
- What is your core message?
Answer these questions, establish an action plan, and set your KPIs.
Optimizing your brand communication
Optimizing your brand communications starts with consistency. By presenting all your brand communications in the same way and in the same tone, you create recognition. This, in return, creates more trust with your consumer.
Go for a unique style of communication that sets you apart from your competition. By finding your own voice, everyone knows exactly what to expect from your brand.
Above all, be inclusive. Use every opportunity you have to spread the word about your brand.
What do you need to optimize your brand communications?
Brand communication is part of your marketing strategy. As with most optimizations in marketing, you need data. Data that, as a brand, you probably already possess. Analyse the following data:
- Web statistics (you get this data from Google Analytics and Google Search Console)
- Social media statistics (number of comments, likes, interactions...)
- Results from previously published content (number of readers, bounce rate ...)
- Data from your email campaigns
Once you've analysed that data, you'll know what works and what doesn't. The best way to optimize your brand communications is A/B testing. Run 2 campaigns simultaneously with a different communication approach and test what works best for your brand.
Investing in brand communication
But why is it a smart idea to invest in brand communications? Well, there are four very good reasons for that:
- It improves your authority
- You come across as professional, reliable, and recognizable by consistently communicating with your target audience.
- It sets you apart from your competitors
- Differentiate yourself from your competitors by standing out with your brand communication. Go for a unique style that fits your brand perfectly.
- Increase brand loyalty
- Is your communication strategy so strong that customers come to you because they know exactly what to expect? Then you are doing very well.
- It opens your brand to market development
- Brand communication, like any other marketing strategy, is a smart move if you want to grow your business and brand.
When to invest in brand communication?
As soon as your brand is ready to be launched you invest in brand communication. That way you start with consistent brand communication that builds trust and recognition.
Do you want to grow your brand? Then too, it's the ideal time to invest in brand communication. No more homemade logo… time for the professional approach.
Brand communication services
Brand communication and branding are very close to each other. In fact, your brand communication strategy is part of your branding. Besides branding and brand communication, you are also welcome at Bonito.Studio for brand development and website design.
Brand communication cases
Tips for powerful brand communication
- Be specific and transparent.
- Communicate in stories.
- Focus on emotional content that connects with your target audience.
- It all starts with your WHY, what's your purpose, what moves you, what makes you get out of bed every day.
- Be authentic.
- Add value.
Good VS bad brand communication: examples
Looking for good examples of brand communication? Brands like Starbucks, Uber, Mailchimp, Harley-Davidson and Coca Cola have very strong brand communications. Check their website, subscribe to their newsletter, and follow their social media to see how they do it.
But there are also brands that have missed the mark several times. As an example, take this commercial from Heineken. I don't think we need to get into details of of what went wrong here. Communication blunders like this should be avoided without question.
Help with your brand communication
Need help with your brand communication? Bonito.Studio is a branding & website design studio led by women who want to help global changemakers crate a difference. Bonito supports you from A to Z in developing and implementing powerful branding and strong brand communication.
Powerful brand communication that makes an impact with Bonito.studio
Let's create something powerful together. Book a virtual coffee with us here and find out what we can do for each other.